Back to Top
A lot of couples are unsure if an engagement or pre-wedding shoot is right for them or if it's worth the investment, so I thought I would go through the advantages, as well as some tips on how to get the best results from the shoot and make it enjoyable at the same time.
1.It is a great way for you to get to know your photographer so they are not a stranger on your wedding day. This will help you feel more relaxed and natural with them around. It also helps the photographer get to know you as a couple. They will figure out how you tick, wether you're playful, romantic, fun or cheeky with each other, which means they can get the best out of you on the wedding day!
2. It's a great way to get some updated photos of you as a couple that aren't selfies! ;) Some people use these professional photos for their 'Save the Date' cards too! Not many couples have professional photos that capture their personalities and connection, let alone in a setting they love. On that note, It is a great opportunity to get photos at a significant or special place that may not be do-able on the actual wedding day! (This could be due to time factors, or the location being too far away from the wedding venue)
3. Having the best light for photos is extremely important, however the time of the photoshoot on the wedding day can often be when the sun is high and the light is not very flattering. When you schedule an engagement or couple shoot your photographer will work with you to choose the best time to get the most out of the location and the light :)
1. What to wear!? Start by getting inspiration from what you see online. Natural colour palettes often photograph better than busy prints or very bright colours. Dress to suit your location. I.e. A full suit and stilettos don't work so well on a beach, but are perfect for an urban setting. Bring something to accessories and change up your look! Most importantly, be COMFORTABLE! If you're not, it will reflect in your photos.
2. Give your photographer some ideas of locations you like, or if you have any favorite or special places, but trust their advice on what particular spots will work best for your shoot.
3. Bring a blanket, a picnic and a bottle of bubbles! They are functional AND make for great photos!!
4. Most importantly.... HAVE FUN! RELAX!! And let your personalities shine through! Your photographer will love you for it :)
If you're feeling nervous or apprehensive about your wedding photos, then DEFINITELY talk to your photographer about a pre-wedding session... I always promise my couples that It'll be fun and we'll have a good laugh (which often ends up being at my own expense!)
Thanks for listening to my rambling!